Re: 2.6.25-rc2-mm1: WARNING at arch/x86/mm/ioremap.c:129

From: Arjan van de Ven
Date: Mon Feb 18 2008 - 00:19:41 EST

On Sun, 17 Feb 2008 23:58:03 -0500
"Brown, Len" <len.brown@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> >Len: This WARN_ON says that ACPI is trying to call ioremap()
> >on memory that the e820_table
> >lists as "kernel owned". Do you know why ACPI would do this?
> >Would ACPI get upset if
> >the kernel would tell it to take a hike?
>
> Depends on the BIOS -- as it is the BIOS AML that is making this
> request.

is there any possible valid scenario where the BIOS AML would touch memory the
kernel is using? (Since that seems to be what is going on; I'll cook up a diagnostics
patch to get more info but the warning gets spewed if ioremap() is trying to map
memory the kernel sees as ram)

--
If you want to reach me at my work email, use arjan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
visit http://www.lesswatts.org