Re: [2.6 patch] make vfs_ioctl() static

From: Erez Zadok
Date: Sun Feb 17 2008 - 15:23:27 EST

In message <20080217131839.GA11034@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Christoph Hellwig writes:
> On Sun, Feb 17, 2008 at 10:18:42AM +0200, Adrian Bunk wrote:
> > This patch makes the needlessly global vfs_ioctl() static.
>
> I think the point was toa eventually export it for stackable filesystem
> use. But until they start using it marking it static seems fine with
> me.

Right. I'm not using it yet in unionfs, although I could; for now I'm just
calling very similar code myself. This is only used in unionfs after I
process my own ioctls; IOW, I pass all unknown ioctls to the lower level and
let it handle it.

eCryptfs, however, doesn't pass unknown ioctls to the lower layer: it only
processes its own.

Honestly I'm not sure which is more appropriate: should a stackable f/s pass
unknown ioctls to the lower f/s or not? If it doesn't, would any important
functionality be lost?

Erez.