Re: What's needed for a PCIe card to be recognized?

From: Hans J. Koch
Date: Sun Feb 17 2008 - 07:38:23 EST

Am Sat, 16 Feb 2008 18:29:39 -0800
schrieb Arjan van de Ven <arjan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

> On Sun, 17 Feb 2008 01:54:53 +0100
> Hans-JÃrgen Koch <hjk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > Am Sat, 16 Feb 2008 14:39:46 -0800
> > schrieb Arjan van de Ven <arjan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

> > > go to the bios, enable the wireless card.
> > >
> > > that did it for me ;)
> >
> > It didn't for me. I tried all combinations (booting with/without
> > WLAN enabled, enabling WLAN through /proc with/without pciehp
> > loaded and so on). What kernel did you use, and which patches did
> > you apply?
> >

> I used a pretty much stock Fedora 8 kernel..

Hm, interesting. My guess was that enabling the card in BIOS simply
switches the power of the WLAN card on. But I really don't understand
why it's not detected then with my vanilla kernel. My naive thought was
that the kernel scans all possible PCI[e] slots a chipset offers and
finds all cards there. Seems to be a bit more subtle...

> no magic patches at all.

Well, they've at least added atl2 support, otherwise you had no
wired LAN either.

> Of course there's no driver for the wlan, but that's a different
> story ;)

I replaced that unsupported Atheros 5007 card with an ipw3945, so I
haven't got that problem.

Thanks,
Hans