Re: [patch 2/6] mmu_notifier: Callbacks to invalidate address ranges

From: Christoph Lameter
Date: Sat Feb 16 2008 - 14:27:03 EST

On Fri, 15 Feb 2008, Andrew Morton wrote:

> On Thu, 14 Feb 2008 22:49:01 -0800 Christoph Lameter <clameter@xxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > The invalidation of address ranges in a mm_struct needs to be
> > performed when pages are removed or permissions etc change.
>
> hm. Do they? Why? If I'm in the process of zero-copy writing a hunk of
> memory out to hardware then do I care if someone write-protects the ptes?
>
> Spose so, but some fleshing-out of the various scenarios here would clarify
> things.

You care f.e. if the VM needs to writeprotect a memory range and a write
occurs. In that case the VM needs to be proper write processing and write
through an external pte would cause memory corruption.

> > If invalidate_range_begin() is called with locks held then we
> > pass a flag into invalidate_range() to indicate that no sleeping is
> > possible. Locks are only held for truncate and huge pages.
>
> This is so bad.

Ok so I can twidlle around with the inode_mmap_lock to drop it while this
is called?

> > In two cases we use invalidate_range_begin/end to invalidate
> > single pages because the pair allows holding off new references
> > (idea by Robin Holt).
>
> Assuming that there is a missing "within the range" in this description, I
> assume that all clients will just throw up theior hands in horror and will
> disallow all references to all parts of the mm.

Right. Missing within the range. We only need to disallow creating new
ptes right? Why disallow references?

> > xip_unmap: We are not taking the PageLock so we cannot
> > use the invalidate_page mmu_rmap_notifier. invalidate_range_begin/end
> > stands in.
>
> What does "stands in" mean?

Use a range begin / end to invalidate a page.

> > + mmu_notifier(invalidate_range_begin, mm, start, start + size, 0);
> > err = populate_range(mm, vma, start, size, pgoff);
> > + mmu_notifier(invalidate_range_end, mm, start, start + size, 0);
>
> To avoid off-by-one confusion the changelogs, documentation and comments
> should be very careful to tell the reader whether the range includes the
> byte at start+size. I don't thik that was done?

No it was not. I assumed that the convention is always start - (end - 1)
and the byte at end is not affected by the operation.