Re: [patch] checkpatch.pl: revert wrong --file message

From: Cyrill Gorcunov
Date: Sat Feb 16 2008 - 06:04:43 EST

[Pekka Enberg - Sat, Feb 16, 2008 at 12:27:33PM +0200]
| Hi,
|
| On Feb 16, 2008 12:18 PM, Thomas Gleixner <tglx@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
| > People, who do cleanups - I'm not talking about running lindent here -
| > read through the code while they fix it up.
| >
| > Actually they find bugs that way or at least come up with useful
| > questions about code which is not obvious in the first place.
| >
| > Discouraging such cleanups with a pretty offensive warning is
| > counterproductive.
|
| Well, it's not just about cleanup patches submitted by "newbies". I
| use checkpatch for development too and the warning is real PITA for
| that.

As the one who sent such a cleanup sometime ago I think I've rights to
say my POV ;)

Benefits
--------

I think all developers would agree with me that to have a clean code is
quite good. Even removing absolutely useless 'spaces' is good. Ingo
wrote a lot about such a benefit month ago - and I think most (or even
all) of developers agree with him. Actually I've
(show-trailing-whitespace t) in my emacs settings - so every useless
space char makes me nerve - of course I could turn this setting off
and be happy but...

Dark side of space-removing-patches