Re: [patch 1/6] mmu_notifier: Core code

From: Andrew Morton
Date: Sat Feb 16 2008 - 05:59:18 EST

On Sat, 16 Feb 2008 11:41:35 +0100 Brice Goglin <Brice.Goglin@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Andrew Morton wrote:
> > What is the status of getting infiniband to use this facility?
> >
> > How important is this feature to KVM?
> >
> > To xpmem?
> >
> > Which other potential clients have been identified and how important it it
> > to those?
> >

> As I said when Andrea posted the first patch series, I used something
> very similar for non-RDMA-based HPC about 4 years ago. I haven't had
> time yet to look in depth and try the latest proposed API but my feeling
> is that it looks good.

"looks good" maybe. But it's in the details where I fear this will come
unstuck. The likelihood that some callbacks really will want to be able to
block in places where this interface doesn't permit that - either to wait
for IO to complete or to wait for other threads to clear critical regions.

>From that POV it doesn't look like a sufficiently general and useful
design. Looks like it was grafted onto the current VM implementation in a
way which just about suits two particular clients if they try hard enough.

Which is all perfectly understandable - it would be hard to rework core MM
to be able to make this interface more general. But I do think it's
half-baked and there is a decent risk that future (or present) code which
_could_ use something like this won't be able to use this one, and will
continue to futz with mlock, page-pinning, etc.

Not that I know what the fix to that is..