Re: include/linux/pcounter.h

From: Eric Dumazet
Date: Sat Feb 16 2008 - 05:07:49 EST

Andrew Morton a écrit :
- First up, why was this added at all? We have percpu_counter.h which
has several years development invested in it. afaict it would suit the
present applications of pcounters.

If some deficiency in percpu_counters has been identified, is it
possible to correct that deficiency rather than implementing a whole new
counter type? That would be much better.

- The comments in pcounter.h appear to indicate that there is a
performance advantage (and we infer that the advantage is when the
statically-allocated flavour of pcounters is used). When compared with
percpu_counters the number of data-reference indirections is the same as
with percpu_counters, so no advantage there.

And, bizarrely, because of a quite inappropriate abstraction toy, both
flavours of pcounters add an indirect function call which I believe is
significantly more expensive than a plain old pointer indirection.

So it's quite possible that DEFINE_PCOUNTER-style counters consume more
memory and are slower than percpu_counters. They will surely be much
slower on the read side. More below.

If we really want to put some helper wrappers around
DEFINE_PER_CPU(s32) then I'd suggest that we should do that as a
standalone thing and not attempt to graft the same interface onto two
quite different types of storage (DEFINE_PER_CPU and alloc_per_cpu)

- The comment "2)" in pcounter.h (which overflows 80 cols and probably
wasn't passed through checkpatch) indicates that some other
implementation (presumably plain old DEFINE_PER_CPU) will use
NR_CPUS*(32+sizeof(void *)) bytes of storage. But DEFINE_PCOUNTER will
use as much memory as DEFINE_PER_CPU(s32) and both pcounter_alloc()-style
pcounters and percpu_counters use
num_possible_cpus()*sizeof(s32)+epsilon.

- The CONFIG_SMP=n stubs in pcounter.h are cheesy and are vulnerable to
several well-known compilation risks which I always forget. Should be
converted to regular static inlines.

- the comment in lib/pcounter.c needlessly exceeds 80 cols.

- pcounter_dyn_add() will spew a
use-of-smp_processor_id()-in-preemptible-code warning if used in places
where one could reasonably use it. The interface could do with a bit of
a rethink. Or at least some justification and documentation.

- pcounter_getval() will be disastrously inefficient if
num_possible_cpus() is much greater than num_online_cpus(). It should
use for_each_online_cpu() (as does percpu_counter), and implement a CPU
hotplug notifier (as does percpu_counter).

It will remain grossly inefficient at high CPU counts, unlike
percpu_counters, which solved this problem by doing a batched spill into
a central counter at add/sub time.

The danger here is that someone will actually use this interface in new
code. Six months later (when it's too late to fix it) the big-NUMA guys
come up and say "whaa, when our user does <this> it disabled interrupts
for N milliseconds".

- pcounter_getval() can return incorrect negative numbers. This can
cause caller malfunctions in very rare situations because callers just
don't expect the things which they're counting to go negative.

We experienced this during the evolution of percpu_counter. See
percpu_counter_sum_positive() and friends.

- pcounter_alloc() should return -ENOMEM on allocation error, not "1".

- pcounter_free() perhaps shouldn't test for (self->per_cpu_values !=
NULL), because callers shouldn't be calling it if pcounter_alloc() failed
(arguable).

afaict the whole implementation can and should be removed and replaced with
percpu_counters. I don't think there's much point in its ability to manage
DEFINE_PER_CPU counters: pcounter_getval() remains grossly inefficient (and
can return negative values) and quite a bit of new code will need to be put
in place to address that.

But perhaps there are plans to evolve it into something further in the
future, I don't know. But I would suggest that the people who have worked
upon percpu_counters (principally Gautham, Peter Z, clameter and me) be
involved in that work.

Andrew, pcounter is a temporary abstraction.

It is temporaty because it will vanish as soon as Christoph Clameter (or somebody else) provides real cheap per cpu counter implementation.

At time I introduced it in network tree (locally, not meant to invade kernel land and makes you unhappy :) ), the goals were :

Some counters (total sockets count) were a single integer, that were doing ping-pong between cpus (SMP/NUMA). As they are basically lazy values (as we dont really need to read their value), using plain atomic_t was overkill.

Using a plain percpu_counters was expensive (NR_CPUS*(32+sizeof(void *)) instead of num_possible_cpus()*4).

Using 'online' instead of 'possible' stuff is not really needed for a temporary thing.

- We dont care of read sides. We want really fast write side. Real fast.

Read side is when you do a "cat /proc/net/sockstat".
That is ... once in a while...

Now when we allocate a new socket, code to increment the "socket count" is :

c03a74a8 <tcp_pcounter_add>:
c03a74a8: b8 90 26 5f c0 mov $0xc05f2690,%eax
c03a74ad: 64 8b 0d 10 f1 5e c0 mov %fs:0xc05ef110,%ecx
c03a74b4: 01 14 01 add %edx,(%ecx,%eax,1)
c03a74b7: c3 ret

That is 4 instructions. I could be two in the future, thanks to current work on fs/gs based percpu variables.

Current percpu_counters implementation is more expensive :

c021467b <__percpu_counter_add>:
c021467b: 55 push %ebp
c021467c: 57 push %edi
c021467d: 89 c7 mov %eax,%edi
c021467f: 56 push %esi
c0214680: 53 push %ebx
c0214681: 83 ec 04 sub $0x4,%esp
c0214684: 8b 40 14 mov 0x14(%eax),%eax
c0214687: 64 8b 1d 08 f0 5e c0 mov %fs:0xc05ef008,%ebx
c021468e: 8b 6c 24 18 mov 0x18(%esp),%ebp
c0214692: f7 d0 not %eax
c0214694: 8b 1c 98 mov (%eax,%ebx,4),%ebx
c0214697: 89 1c 24 mov %ebx,(%esp)
c021469a: 8b 03 mov (%ebx),%eax
c021469c: 89 c3 mov %eax,%ebx
c021469e: 89 c6 mov %eax,%esi
c02146a0: c1 fe 1f sar $0x1f,%esi
c02146a3: 89 e8 mov %ebp,%eax
c02146a5: 01 d3 add %edx,%ebx
c02146a7: 11 ce adc %ecx,%esi
c02146a9: 99 cltd
c02146aa: 39 d6 cmp %edx,%esi
c02146ac: 7f 15 jg c02146c3 <__percpu_counter_add+0x48>
c02146ae: 7c 04 jl c02146b4 <__percpu_counter_add+0x39>
c02146b0: 39 eb cmp %ebp,%ebx
c02146b2: 73 0f jae c02146c3 <__percpu_counter_add+0x48>
c02146b4: f7 dd neg %ebp
c02146b6: 89 e8 mov %ebp,%eax
c02146b8: 99 cltd
c02146b9: 39 d6 cmp %edx,%esi
c02146bb: 7f 20 jg c02146dd <__percpu_counter_add+0x62>
c02146bd: 7c 04 jl c02146c3 <__percpu_counter_add+0x48>
c02146bf: 39 eb cmp %ebp,%ebx
c02146c1: 77 1a ja c02146dd <__percpu_counter_add+0x62>
c02146c3: 89 f8 mov %edi,%eax
c02146c5: e8 04 cc 1f 00 call c04112ce <_spin_lock>
c02146ca: 01 5f 04 add %ebx,0x4(%edi)
c02146cd: 11 77 08 adc %esi,0x8(%edi)
c02146d0: 8b 04 24 mov (%esp),%eax
c02146d3: c7 00 00 00 00 00 movl $0x0,(%eax)
c02146d9: fe 07 incb (%edi)
c02146db: eb 05 jmp c02146e2 <__percpu_counter_add+0x67>
c02146dd: 8b 04 24 mov (%esp),%eax
c02146e0: 89 18 mov %ebx,(%eax)
c02146e2: 58 pop %eax
c02146e3: 5b pop %ebx
c02146e4: 5e pop %esi
c02146e5: 5f pop %edi
c02146e6: 5d pop %ebp
c02146e7: c3 ret

Once it is better, just make pcounter vanish.

It is even clearly stated at the top of include/linux/pcounter.h

/*
* Using a dynamic percpu 'int' variable has a cost :
* 1) Extra dereference
* Current per_cpu_ptr() implementation uses an array per 'percpu variable'.
* 2) memory cost of NR_CPUS*(32+sizeof(void *)) instead of num_possible_cpus()*4
*
* This pcounter implementation is an abstraction to be able to use
* either a static or a dynamic per cpu variable.
* One dynamic per cpu variable gets a fast & cheap implementation, we can
* change pcounter implementation too.
*/

We all agree.

Thank you