Re: PCI Bursting with PIO

From: Robert Hancock
Date: Sat Feb 16 2008 - 01:01:03 EST

Dan Gora wrote:
Hi,

I am trying to optimize a driver for a slave only PCI device and am
having a lot of trouble getting any kind of PCI burst transactions in
either the read or the write direction. Using bcopy/memcpy or even a
hand-crafted while (len) { *pdst++ = *psrc++} (with pdst and psrc
unsigned long*) I can only get writes to burst and even in that case
only for 2 data phases (8 bytes) and only on 64 bit machines. The
best that I have managed is to use a hand crafted asm function which
copies the data through mmx registers on i386 machines, but that still
only bursts a maximum of 16 bytes in the write direction and not at
all in the read direction. The source and destination pointers are
both aligned to 8 byte boundaries, so I don't think that it's an
alignment issue.

The chipset is being limited by what the CPU is giving it. If the CPU sends only a small amount of data in one access then the chipset usually does not try to burst more than that.

Is there any way to get PIO to burst over the PCI bus in the read and
write direction? My device has 4 BAR registers, but the area where I
am transferring data is marked 'prefetchable' (although the others are
not). I read here: http://lkml.org/lkml/2004/9/23/393 that this was a
prerequisite, but it is apparently not sufficient. He also mentioned
that the area had to be marked as write-back, but it's not clear how
you can tell (no /proc/mtrr doesn't tell you) or that it has anything
to do with bursting reads.

Any ideas would be really appreciated,

Well, in order for the CPU to batch up more writes you'd have to map the BAR as either write-combining or write-back. If it's not listed in /proc/mtrr it will be the default setting of uncacheable. X has code to set up the video memory on the video card as write-combining so it can get better write performance, you could do something similar.

Setting it as write-back might allow you to get the reads to do bursting as well (since the CPU will do a cache-line fill instead of individual accesses) but this if the device is modifying this memory area, unless you add code to invalidate those cache lines before reading the data you'll get stale data back. You could run into some other less obvious issues as well, as normally device memory regions are not mapped write-back.

In general, especially if you need to read data back from the device, implementing a DMA engine would be by far the better option. Most chipsets seem not at all optimized for handling sequential reads from PCI memory from the CPU. (Even in the DMA case, you have to be careful with what type of memory read transaction you use when transferring from host memory - some chipsets don't like to burst more than one cycle if you use normal Memory Read instead of Memory Read Line or Memory Read Multiple.)