Re: x86-32-config: why is pc-speaker an input device?

From: Linda Walsh
Date: Fri Feb 15 2008 - 18:19:13 EST

Valdis.Kletnieks@xxxxxx wrote:
The last time around for this question, I was half-paying attention, and
the rationale sounded like "We had an input device framework, no output
device framework, and too many bad shrooms to do something comprehensible".
---
Yeah, hmm...the question I'd have then is the "only" output device that doesn't fit into a better category?

Could there be other OUTput devices in this category? Would
renaming the category to something like "Miscellaneous I/O Devices" be
reasonable? Are keyboard status lights considered output devices?
Are "force-feedback" devices meaning devices like a rumble-gamepad
device? Isn't that providing output via feedback?

Though, I would agree, most of these devices would be thought of
as "input" devices. Dang PC-SPEAKER...um...since the driver is config'ed
with the 'input' interface, dang, it really seems like it should be an
entry under sound.

I can see the problem and I'm not familiar enough with the underlying
drivers to know how the PC-Speaker would best be handled.

(This is such a *frequent* FAQ, even all the time since 2.6.0 escaped, that
maybe we need to add a 3-4 line explain to the Kconfig 'help' stanza for
CONFIG_INPUT_PCSPKR - although for some reason, INPUT_SPARCSPKR and
INPUT_M68K_BEEP don't seem to cause the same questions....)
----
No matter where it is in the 'kernel configuration', it sure seems
strange (in "user land"), to see the PC-Speaker be recognized as an
input device -- especially in light of the fact that "all speakers
are microphones" (http://www.zyra.org.uk/sp-mic.htm). Would some user
wonder whether or not their speaker has some dual-circuitry to listen
as well as output (ala TV sets being 2-way video devices in Max Headroom)?