Re: "ide=reverse" do we still need this?

From: Bill Davidsen
Date: Thu Feb 14 2008 - 12:17:48 EST

Greg KH wrote:
On Wed, Feb 13, 2008 at 02:41:07AM +0100, Rene Herman wrote:
On 13-02-08 01:15, Greg KH wrote:

I'm reworking the pci device list logic (we currently keep all PCI
devices in 2 lists, which isn't the nicest, we should be able to get
away with only 1 list.)
The only bother I've found so far is the pci_get_device_reverse()
function, it's used in 2 places, IDE and the calgary driver.
I'm curious if we really still support the ide=reverse option? It's a
config option that I don't think the distros still enable (SuSE does
not). Is this still needed these days?
In digging, we changed this option in 2.2.x from being called
"pci=reverse" and no one else seems to miss it.
Any thoughts?
While details escape me somewhat again at the monment, a few months ago I was playing around with a PCI Promise IDE controller and needed ide=reverse to save me from having to switch disks around to still have a bootable system.

Or some such. Not too clear anymore, but I remember it saved the day.

You couldn't just change the boot disk in grub?

Or use an initramfs and /dev/disk/by-id/ to keep any future moves
stable?

There are any number of things you can do when the system is booted, but the only thing you can do when the system won't boot is use kernel boot options.

This is primarily useful for old systems running modern software, such as old PC redeployed to network, external device control, or system monitoring. Upgrading the BIOS is no longer going to happen, and upgrading the hardware isn't cost effective, but keeping old systems out of the landfill is ecologically and financially sound.

The option is a holdover from the past, but so arm some of my clients and their hardware. ;-)
And *my* hardware, I might add, I am as cheap as anyone.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>