Re: distributed module configuration [Was: Announce: Linux-next (OrAndrew's dream :-))]

From: Geert Uytterhoeven
Date: Thu Feb 14 2008 - 03:49:12 EST

On Thu, 14 Feb 2008, Roman Zippel wrote:
> On Wednesday 13. February 2008, Sam Ravnborg wrote:
> > config foo
> > tristate "do you want foo?"
> > depends on USB && BAR
> > module
> > obj-$(CONFIG_FOO) += foo.o
> > foo-y := file1.o file2.o
> > help
> > foo will allow you to explode your PC
>
> I'm more thinking about something like this:
>
> module foo [FOO]
> tristate "do you want foo?"
> depends on USB && BAR
> source file1.c
> source file2.c if BAZ

And we can finally distinguish between

config bar
bool "do you want bar?"

for boolean options and

module baz
bool "do you want baz?"

for modules that cannot be modular?

And we can make `depends on' do the right thing for dependencies on modules
that are modular (cfr. e.g. commit e11a6c236b3070ed05b079f91a9b3defa48b54d3,
[VIDEO]: XVR500 and XVR2500 require FB=y)?

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

Geert

-- Linus Torvalds