No, you do NOT already need perl to build the kernel!

From: Rob Landley
Date: Wed Feb 13 2008 - 13:15:38 EST

Please revert commit bdc807871d58285737d50dc6163d0feb72cb0dc2 because it's
based on a false assumption:

> At Ralf Baechle's suggestion, this version uses a Perl script to
> compute the necessary constants. We already have dependencies on Perl for
> kernel compiles.

You do NOT need perl to build the kernel. Perl is used in various debugging
tools for stack checking and stuff (just like python is used in
bloat-o-meter). But perl is NOT required to compile the kernel, and never
has been. Not on x86, x86-64, arm, mips, powerpc, super hitachi, or sparc.
(Haven't personally tested the others recently.)

I submitted a patch to _remove_ a perl dependency from the User Mode Linux
build back in 2005. (During the bitkeeper days, although git
b05d85a87d9711f5f5f2eb05c79038d5d5ff1f44 updated said patch to work with
older versions of sed).

Please don't reintroduce this. I can recompile a system from source code
under itself with only seven packages (linux, uClibc, busybox, gcc, binutils,
make, bash), meaning that's the minimal environment I have to bootstrap on a
new hardware platform in order to be able to compile my way up to a full
distro in a self-hosting manner. Adding perl to that would _double_ the
complexity. (Getting perl to cross compile requires involves medieval
torture implements and several lewd acts with a chicken, and that's just for
microperl...)

Rob
- Ken Thompson.