Re: Announce: Linux-next (Or Andrew's dream :-))

From: Greg KH
Date: Wed Feb 13 2008 - 01:58:22 EST

On Tue, Feb 12, 2008 at 04:49:46PM -0800, Linus Torvalds wrote:

> On Tue, 12 Feb 2008, Greg KH wrote:
> >
> > Perhaps you need to switch to using quilt. This is the main reason why
> > I use it.
>
> Btw, on that note: if some quilt user can send an "annotated history file"
> of their quilt usage, it's something that git really can do, and I'll see
> if I can merge (or rather, coax Junio to merge) the relevant part of stgit
> to make it possible to just basically get "quilt behaviour" for the parts
> of a git tree that you haven't pushed out yet.

Ted's description matches mine (keep quilt tree in git, edit changelog
entries, rebase on newer kernel versions, etc.) I can go into details
if needed.

> A pure patch-stack will be faster at that thing than git would be (it's
> simply easier to just track patches), but on the other hand, using git
> would get some other advantages outside of the integration issue (eg the
> cherry-pick thing really is a proper three-way merge, not just an "apply
> patch", so it can do better).

I was amazed at how slow stgit was when I tried it out. I use
git-quiltimport a lot and I don't think it's any slower than just using
quilt on its own. So I think that the speed issue should be the same.

I had a number of issues last time I tried stgit out, but maybe they are
now resolved, I'll try it out tomorrow and report to the git list
anything I find that doesn't work for me.

thanks,

greg k-h