Re: Announce: Linux-next (Or Andrew's dream :-))

From: Roland Dreier
Date: Tue Feb 12 2008 - 12:39:07 EST

> The other is that once somebody says "ok, I *really* need to cause this
> breakage, because there's a major bug or we need it for fundamental reason
> XYZ", then that person should
>
> (a) create a base tree with _just_ that fundamental infrastructure change,
> and make sure that base branch is so obviously good that there is no
> question about merging it.

I don't disagree with this, but I think I should point out that making
something "obviously good" may be pretty hard. It's clearly a common
case that the infrastructure change goes through several rounds of
change -- perhaps prompted by exposure in -mm that shows a subtle
issue. So then if all other maintainers based their trees on this
tree, we're left with two not-so-great alternatives:

1) merge the original, broken infrastructure change into your
(Linus's) tree, leaving a known problem for bisecters to trip
over.

2) rebase the world.

I don't know if there's really a perfect answer here. I hope that
tree-wide infrastructure breakage is uncommon enough that we can just
handle these issues "by hand" as they come up.

- R.