Re: [patch 2/4] mempolicy: support optional mode flags

From: David Rientjes
Date: Mon Feb 11 2008 - 16:54:55 EST

On Mon, 11 Feb 2008, Paul Jackson wrote:

> If things go as I hope, I expect to spend a couple of days this week
> reviving my earlier patch RFC that a couple of you on this cc list saw,
> concerning how nodes are numbered in mempolicy nodemasks. Certainly
> the work being done in these various recent patches will affect my
> patch ... it's in the same code.

With my patchset I don't believe there is any ambiguity in how nodes are
numbered anymore.

The node remap is suppressed on policy rebind if MPOL_F_STATIC_NODES is
passed by the user either on mbind() or set_mempolicy()[*]. So in that
case, the user is always referring to absolte physical node numbers;
without the flag, the user is referring to relative node numbers since it
can be remapped when the mempolicy context changes.

[*] Or with tmpfs by appending '=static' to the policy mode at mount
time.

> David or Lee -- could you recommend to me which of these various patches
> of late I should apply first in my workarea, in what order, before I
> add my patch?

That's a good question; when I prepared this patchset I simply based it
off Linus' latest git + V3 of Lee's contextualize_policy() patch that was
posted to LKML on February 8:

http://marc.info/?l=linux-kernel&m=120250000001182

Lee has talked about another patchset that he hasn't posted (at least not
lately) based on Mel's two zonelist work. I'm not sure of that status of
that right now and since Lee is idle this week I would recommend applying
V3 of his patch plus my five (there was a fifth patch posted in response
to KOSAKI Motohiro's findings of a mpol_new() memory leak:

http://marc.info/?l=linux-kernel&m=120276002725325

> After fixing up conflicts between my earlier patch and
> these good patches of yours, I'll try to do some testing of the code
> paths that my patch most likely affected, to ensure that I don't break
> any existing code. I'll also probably have some more detailed review
> comments on these patches, as I work through them and resolve conflicts
> between them and my patch.

Sounds good.

David