Re: why kexec insists on syncing with recent kernels?

From: Geert Uytterhoeven
Date: Mon Feb 11 2008 - 07:38:39 EST

On Fri, 8 Feb 2008, Tomasz Chmielewski wrote:
> Randy Dunlap schrieb:
>
> (...)
>
> > > Even if you did -f, it must have shutdown the network. I think somehow
> > > in latest kernels there is some dependency on network and that's why
> > > not shutting down network in this case is helping you.
> >
> > I'm seeing NFS mounts take forever to unmount (at shutdown/reboot).
> > (forever => 1 hour ... or never completes)
> >
> > Is this similar to the problem that the OP is asking about?
>
> Is it a diskless station?
>
> Even in not, just make sure you don't shut the network down before NFS is
> actually unmounted...?

JFYI, on PS3, kexec works fine with NFS root.

With kind regards,

Geert Uytterhoeven
Software Architect

Sony Network and Software Technology Center Europe
The Corporate Village  Da Vincilaan 7-D1  B-1935 Zaventem  Belgium

Phone: +32 (0)2 700 8453
Fax: +32 (0)2 700 8622
E-mail: Geert.Uytterhoeven@xxxxxxxxxxx
Internet: http://www.sony-europe.com/

Sony Network and Software Technology Center Europe
A division of Sony Service Centre (Europe) N.V.
Registered office: Technologielaan 7  B-1840 Londerzeel  Belgium
VAT BE 0413.825.160 Â RPR Brussels
Fortis Bank Zaventem  Swift GEBABEBB08A  IBAN BE39001382358619