Re: Oops report for the week upto Feb 10th 2008

From: Nick Piggin
Date: Mon Feb 11 2008 - 00:27:19 EST

On Monday 11 February 2008 11:35, Arjan van de Ven wrote:
> The http://www.kerneloops.org website collects kernel oops and
> warning reports from various mailing lists and bugzillas as well as
> with a client users can install to auto-submit oopses.
> Below is a top 10 list of the oopses/backtraces collected in the last 7
> days. (Reports prior to 2.6.23 have been omitted in collecting the top 10)
>
> This week, a total of 323 oopses and warnings have been reported,
> compared to 110 reports in the previous week.
>
> (This sharp increase is due to Fedora 9 alpha shipping the oops data
> collection client in the default install, giving us much wider coverage
> in the issues that actual users hit; many thanks to the Fedora project
> for this)
>
> With the 2.6.25-rc1 release out, this will be the last report that includes
> 2.6.23; future reports will only include issues from 2.6.24 and later.
>

> Rank 1: set_dentry_child_flags
> WARN_ON at fs/inotify.c:172 set_dentry_child_flags
> Reported 93 times (116 total reports)
> This is a user triggered WARN_ON in inotify. Sadly inotify seems to be
> unmaintained. More info:
> http://www.kerneloops.org/search.php?search=set_dentry_child_flags

I was never able to trigger this or get anyone to reliably trigger it with
a debug patch in. Which is why it has taken so long to fix. It looks like
kde4 is triggering this big rash of new reports.

Anyway, I have fixed a race or two and removed that warning code (which was
also a little racy). So I think that should be OK.

> Rank 9: mark_buffer_dirty
> WARN_ON at fs/buffer.c:1169
> This indicates that a non-uptodate buffer is marked dirty.
> This can lead to data corruption!
> Reported 5 times (12 total reports) - Only seen since 2.6.24-rc6
> Usually happens during umount()
> More info: http://www.kerneloops.org/search.php?search=mark_buffer_dirty

That's interesting.