Re: [3/6] kgdb: core

From: Ingo Molnar
Date: Sun Feb 10 2008 - 04:28:13 EST

* Christoph Hellwig <hch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > i dont think so. Which ones do you mean? I just reviewed them and
> > they are either already done, or moot (for kgdb complications that i
> > objected to and removed from this kgdb-x86 tree).
>
> The one I noticed quickly is the __ASSEMBLY__ removal from
> asm-x86/kgdb.h. [...]

people might want to experiment with early debug code as well and
include asm-x86/kgdb.h in assembly files. So i kept that, it's sensible.

> [...] I haven't looked at the serial bits because I don't think I'm
> qualified to comment on those, but I'm also not seeing any replies to
> any of his patches. Especially the comments on the arch interface
> seem like something that should be acted upon to me.

yeah - i also noticed that the serial subsystem is marked "orphaned" in
the MAINTAINERS file:

8250/16?50 (AND CLONE UARTS) SERIAL DRIVER
L: linux-serial@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
W: http://serial.sourceforge.net
S: Orphan

and compared to the raw-lowlevel-serial-driver hackery that KGDB used to
do this is a big step forward. Note that it's all dependent on
CONFIG_KGDB.

Ingo