Re: how to tell i386 from x86-64 kernel

From: Arjan van de Ven
Date: Sat Feb 09 2008 - 17:34:59 EST

On Sat, 9 Feb 2008 21:13:43 +0100 (CET)
Jan Engelhardt <jengelh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Feb 1 2008 12:53, Alejandro Riveira FernÃndez wrote:
> >>
> >> # uname -m
> >> I won't tell you.
> >> # linux32 uname -m
> >> i686
> >
> > Ubuntu 7.10 64 bit userland 2.6.24
> >
> >$ uname -m
> >x86_64
> >$ linux32 uname -m
> >i686
>
> What I am saying is that uname(2) does not reliably tell you whether
> you have a 64-bit kernel underneath unless you have other sources of
> information.

that's sort of a rabbit-and-the-frog problem. The 32 bit emulator tries to
look EXACTLY like the 32 bit kernel, and it really should.
If someone wants a method to detect even that... we would really want
to know the exact usecase.. because very likely it's the wrong answer
to some other problem ;-)

--
If you want to reach me at my work email, use arjan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
visit http://www.lesswatts.org