Re: Problem with ata layer in 2.6.24

From: Alan Cox
Date: Tue Jan 29 2008 - 14:38:58 EST

> I've seen a lot of verbosity out of SCSI messages, but I haven't seen a
> straightforward interpretation of the problem in there. It's all
> information useful for debugging, not information useful for system
> administration.

It tells you what is going on. Unfortunately that frequently requires
some basic knowledge of how to interpret the error report. Drive
interface behaviour simply doesn't boil down to a fault light on the
dashboard or a "tighten the cable". For most common fault types you'll
get errors most administrators should find meaningful - like "Media error"

> On the other hand, bringing the system down because a device is
> misbehaving is a poor idea. I've personally recovered most of the data off

Hence we have RAID and SATA hotplug.

Alan