Re: 2.6.24-rc7-rt2

From: Esben Nielsen
Date: Sun Jan 27 2008 - 16:52:24 EST

On Mon, 21 Jan 2008, Steven Rostedt wrote:

On Mon, 21 Jan 2008, Esben Nielsen wrote:

Please, tell what in the license forbids me to make a global replacement
EXPORT_SYMBOL_GPL -> EXPORT_SYMBOL and distribute the result?

If you want to distribute that code, the authors of that said code
may be able to challenge you in saying that you are enabling a means to
circumvent a way around the license, and hold you liable. Remember, all it
takes is one country with the laws that will grant this complaint.

For me, on the other hand, it is against the spirit of free software to
actively make a block for people to do what ever they want with the code
when they are only doing it to themselves. That includes loading non-GPL
software into the kernel. The only thing they are not allowed to do is to
distribute it and in that way "hurt" other people.

Honestly, I don't care which export it is. The thing is that I derived
that code from someone else. I did not look up the original author of the
code to find out which export they would like it to be. I may be able to
argue that since it was under a LGPL and not a GPL license, I may very
well be able to export it that way.

I'm taking the safe way out. By exporting it as EXPORT_SYMBOL_GPL, I am
safe either way. By exporting it as EXPORT_SYMBOL without first hearing
from the original author (and getting that in writing), or hearing it from
a lawyer, I may be putting myself at risk.

Feel free to creating a version of this code and
s/EXPORT_SYMBOL_GPL/EXPORT_SYMBOL/ and distribute it. I wont come after
you for that, but at least I know those that would, will go after you and
not me.

Call me a chicken, I don't care, but I'm just not going to put myself nor
my company I work for, at risk over this issue.

First off, sorry for sounding so harsh and sorry for taking this discussion onto you. It is quite off-topic in this context. It was just a rant about the misconception that adding/removing _GPL to EXPORT_SYMBOL can make non-GPL modules more or less legal. Is is a _political_ issue, not a legal one.

Esben

-- Steve