Re: regression: 100% io-wait with 2.6.24-rcX

From: Ingo Molnar
Date: Tue Jan 15 2008 - 16:43:00 EST

* Fengguang Wu <wfg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 14, 2008 at 12:41:26PM +0100, Peter Zijlstra wrote:

> > > Fengguang, congratulations, I can confirm that your patch fixed the bug! With
> > > previous kernels the bug showed up after each reboot. Now, when booting the
> > > patched kernel everything is fine and there is no longer any suspicious
> > > iowait!
> > >
> > > Do you have an idea why this problem appeared in 2.6.24? Did somebody change
> > > the ext2 code or is it related to the changes in the scheduler?
> >
> > It was Fengguang who changed the inode writeback code, and I guess the
> > new and improved code was less able do deal with these funny corner
> > cases. But he has been very good in tracking them down and solving them,
> > kudos to him for that work!
>
> Thank you.
>
> In particular the bug is triggered by the patch named:
> "writeback: introduce writeback_control.more_io to indicate more io"
> That patch means to speed up writeback, but unfortunately its
> aggressiveness has disclosed bugs in reiserfs, jfs and now ext2.
>
> Linus, given the number of bugs it triggered, I'd recommend revert
> this patch(git commit 2e6883bdf49abd0e7f0d9b6297fc3be7ebb2250b). Let's
> push it back to -mm tree for more testings?

i dont think a revert at this stage is a good idea and i'm not sure
pushing it back into -mm would really expose more of these bugs. And
these are real bugs in filesystems - bugs which we want to see fixed
anyway. You are also tracking down those bugs very fast.

[ perhaps, if it's possible technically (and if it is clean enough), you
might want to offer a runtime debug tunable that can be used to switch
off the new aspects of your code. That would speed up testing, in case
anyone suspects the new writeback code. ]

Ingo