Re: Folding _PAGE_PWT into _PAGE_PCD (was Re: unify pagetable accessorspatch causes double fault II)

From: Jeremy Fitzhardinge
Date: Tue Jan 15 2008 - 12:33:23 EST

Andi Kleen wrote:
BTW, I just noticed that _PAGE_PWT has been folded into _PAGE_PCD. This seems like a really bad idea to me, since it breaks the rule that _PAGE_X == 1 << _PAGE_BIT_X. I can't think of a specific place where this would cause problems, but this kind of non-uniformity always ends up biting someone in the arse.

Agreed that it's a bad idea.

I think having a specific _PAGE_NOCACHE which combines these bits is a better approach.

CPA series adds that already

+/* Needs special handling for large pages */
+#define _PAGE_CACHE (_PAGE_PCD|_PAGE_PWT|_PAGE_PAT)

Good, but isn't the name _PAGE_CACHE misleading? Or does it mean something else in the context of PAT?