Re: Fwd: Fwd: laptop / computer hardlocks during execution of 32bit applications(binaries) on 64bit system (Gentoo)

From: Matthew
Date: Tue Jan 15 2008 - 12:11:45 EST

> Ingo,
>
> This is _not_ a regression. This has been occuring for ages here. A backport of this fix to 2.6.23 would be a
> very good thing - IMHO its something that should go into stable asap.
>
> Thanks,
> Ed Tomlinson

++

Ingo,
this probably has to do something with the random unmotivated
hardlocks which I suffered from with 2.6.23

when I used 2.6.23-based kernels my rig from time to time (sometimes 2
times a day) just locked and wouldn't react to keyboard-input or magic
sysrq key anymore
if I have a more precise look at my memory (in my head) it probably
happened more often around usage with realplayer (<-- at least that
app; 32bit on amd64) [perhaps also with 32bit thunderbird]
the next suspect is nvidia-drivers: with earlier versions this
happened more often for me (that's at least the "feeling" I have)

so you guys might want to start with those 3 points (thunderbird,
realplayer, nvidia-drivers);
considerung use / test with latest cfs-backports would also be a good
idea, with early backports I had some problems, whereas it's now
perfectly stable (fair group scheduling not enabled)

unfortunately I can't / couldn't reproduce it
in addition to that I'm pretty busy right now so I can't investigate
any further ...

hope you also find the culprit for that buggy ;)

Regards
Mat