Re: [RFC] libusb / in-kernel usb driver criteria

From: David Brownell
Date: Fri Jan 11 2008 - 16:38:52 EST

> > > So, to get the ball rolling, here are some factors that IMHO
> > > help decide in which side to implement a driver:
> > >
> > > - if the driver ties a hardware device to an existing
> > > in-kernel interface (network, block, serial, bluetooth,
> > > video4linux, etc.), it should probably be implemented
> > > in-kernel.
> >
> > Agreed, I think this is clear.
>
> Yes, this the primary decision point, everything after this depends on
> lots of variables :)

Including a pragmatic concern: performance requirements.

Today's usbfs-based userspace drivers don't get any zerocopy
benefits. So if you're passing around enough data that your
target environment needs a zerocopy I/O model (maybe it's got
to run on an embedded system with a small battery and not much
spare CPU power), that can argue in favor of a kernel driver.

I don't know whether the "usbfs2" work addresses that issue.

- Dave