Re: r8169 and out of space

From: Nathan Grennan
Date: Thu Jan 10 2008 - 23:54:21 EST

Francois Romieu wrote:
Alistair John Strachan <alistair@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> :
[..]
No, we have not diagnosed the cause of the problem, beyond the swiotlb usage. I'm adding the r8169 maintainer, linux-net and linux-kernel to CC, to pass on your information, I hope you don't mind.

swiotlb fragmentation perhaps ?

Switching the driver to be page based on Rx would help then.

[...]
I have a Abit AB9 Pro motherboard with Intel P965 chipset, 4gb of
memory, and two onboard r8169.

Which r8169 model exactly ?

I seem to have been wrong about the kernel update fixing my mtu issue. I am not 100% sure, but I think 7200 works if the forcedeth system is sending, but not if the r8169 system is sending.

I tried a mtu of 3000, and basically the same errors, but I did noticed something interesting. Note the three different byte sizes.

DMA: Out of SW-IOMMU space for 2410 bytes at device 0000:03:00.0
DMA: Out of SW-IOMMU space for 3014 bytes at device 0000:03:00.0
DMA: Out of SW-IOMMU space for 3014 bytes at device 0000:03:00.0
DMA: Out of SW-IOMMU space for 3022 bytes at device 0000:03:00.0

On a side note, leaving the mtu at 1500 seems to work without error, and I get about the same performance.