Re: More breakage in native_rdtsc out of line in git-x86

From: Andi Kleen
Date: Wed Jan 09 2008 - 17:25:39 EST

On Wed, Jan 09, 2008 at 11:09:48PM +0100, Björn Steinbrink wrote:
> On 2008.01.09 18:48:00 +0100, Andi Kleen wrote:
> > On Wed, Jan 09, 2008 at 05:30:18PM +0100, Ingo Molnar wrote:
> > > then you have a truly ancient x86.git repository ;-)
> >
> > I update only infrequently because frankly git's remote branch tracking
> > is a mess. At least it doesn't really work for x86#mm here.
> >
> > I usually have to blow away the repository and reclone
> > to get back to a sane state.
>
> Someone in #git had a similar problem today. Conclusion was that x86/mm
> is not "stable" in the sense that commits are only added, instead
> history gets rewritten. That breaks pull/merge/"basic rebase".
>
> Basically, you'll want to "rebase --onto", taking your local commits

I don't really have any local commits. I just want to use read-only
git to generate a patch that I can then import using quilt and
only look at log files and use git show. The fanciest thing
I use is git bisect occasionally.

> that bearable is to have two branches (or a branch and a tag). One
> branch is used to keep your work, the other branch (or tag) is used to
> "mark" where the old upstream ended and your work started.
>
> Assuming that your remote is called "x86", this could look like this:
>
> git branch myStuff x86/mm
> git branch myStuff_start x86/mm
>
> work work work commit commit commit
>
> git fetch x86 mm
>
> git rebase --onto x86/mm myStuff_start myStuff
> git branch -f myStuff_start x86/mm

Do you have a simple recipe to just update from the the remote branch,
assuming there are no local changes or local branches?

-Andi