Re: Replacement for page fault notifiers?

From: Christoph Hellwig
Date: Wed Jan 09 2008 - 13:22:17 EST

On Wed, Jan 09, 2008 at 01:18:44PM -0500, Pavel Roskin wrote:
> notification without patching the kernel. But if no such solution is
> found, I would also support reverting the patch that removed fault
> notifiers on i386.

With your fixation on not patching the kernel you sound like a windows
developer. There is no problem with patching the kernel, but the best
patching of that kernel is that which happens upstream so please folks
start submitting an mmiotrace variant for kernel inclusion.

Then again I don't quite get why you absolutely want to track pagefaults
anyway. Just hooking into ioremap and read*/write* and iomap +
ioread*/iowrite* would be much easier and also a lot faster. It would
also allow adding a nice sysfs attribute to enable this per-device.