Re: [patch] Make MMCONFIG space (extended PCI config space) a driveropt-in issue

From: H. Peter Anvin
Date: Sun Dec 23 2007 - 01:04:50 EST

Jeff Garzik wrote:

2) It is legal for PCI-Express to put capabilities anywhere in PCI config space, including extended config space. (I hope our PCI cap walking code checks for overruns...)

Uh, not really. The classical capability format only has 8-bit addresses, and the spec requires that all extended config space that is used be claimed by extended capabilities -- a different format chain.

-hpa