Re: Memory Read Error

From: Randy Dunlap
Date: Tue Dec 18 2007 - 11:35:19 EST

On Tue, 18 Dec 2007 02:13:30 -0800 (PST) shashi59 wrote:

> I am newbie for Linux Kernel.How can I read the memory area like the range
> between ffff0000 to ffffffff.Directly i read that area it shows some error
> like this "unable to handle kernel paging request at virtual address
> ffff0000". So,I don't know, how to solve this error .Please anyone help
> me....

"Unable to handle kernel paging request at virtual address ffff...."
is almost always indicative of a kernel bug and not a memory error.

Please gather bug reporting data and report it as described in the
file: REPORTING-BUGS in the kernel source tree's top-level directory.

However: if the kernel is very old, the answer may be just to use a
newer kernel version. Or if the kernel is a vendor-supported kernel
version, then that vendor is probably where the bug report should go.

---
~Randy