Re: Possible issue with dangling PCI BARs

From: Robert Hancock
Date: Wed Dec 12 2007 - 23:23:27 EST

Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:
On Thu, 2007-12-13 at 14:05 +1100, Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:
On Thu, 2007-12-13 at 14:00 +1100, Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:

.../...

(oops, sent too fast)

So not only we can have a dangling BAR, but nothing prevent us to
actually go turn IO or MEM decoding on in case it wasn't already the
case on that device.
And I was about to say before I clicked "send".. can't we do something like
writing all ff's into the BAR at the same time as we clear res->start ? Isn't
that supposed to pretty much disable decoding on that BAR ? Or not... Probably
still better than leaving it to whatever dangling value it had no ?

Ok, reading some other threads, it seems that writing all ff's will not
be a very good alternative on x86 machines where MMCONFIG sits up
there...

I suppose there is nothing totally safe that can be done, thanks to
Intel not thinking about making BARs individually enable/disable'able
(or size-able without interrupting access, among other numerous fuckups
in the PCI spec).

So if a BAR is left dangling, I think we -must- disable MEM and IO
decoding on the whole device. In fact, the whole trick of passing a
bitmask of required BARs to pci_enable_device_bars() in the first place
doesn't fly.

Yuck.

We could do a bit better than that - a common use case with pci_enable_device_bars would be where the device has some IO space that we don't care about because we only want to use MMIO space. If we only want to enable MMIO BARs then we don't need to enable IO decoding, and in that case it doesn't matter if we failed to find space for the IO space and it overlaps something else.

It looks like we already handle the "not enabling IO decoding" part in this case, except that it doesn't look like we ever would disable the decoding if it was already enabled.

For the case where you say "I want to enable decoding for this MMIO BAR, but not that one", though, I don't see an obvious way to provide that guarantee with certainty. Normally, one would expect that if a BAR is mapped safely outside the decode window of a PCI bridge it's behind, that it won't ever see the requests and can't respond to them. However, the Intel chipset MMCONFIG overlap fiasco appears to show that this is not always the case and in some cases the device can see and respond to requests outside of the bridge's decode window (with higher decode priority than the MMCONFIG aperture, even)..

--
Robert Hancock Saskatoon, SK, Canada
To email, remove "nospam" from hancockr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx