Re: broken dpt_i2o in 2.6.23 (was: ext2_check_page: bad entry indirectory) (fwd)

From: Miquel van Smoorenburg
Date: Tue Dec 11 2007 - 16:53:12 EST

On Tue, 2007-12-11 at 15:40 +0100, Miquel van Smoorenburg wrote:
> I just noticed the same bug when I tried to update a 2.6.18 server to
> 2.6.23.9 .. also tried 2.6.24-rc4. The symptom I'm seeing is that init
> segfaults, or can't be found .. anyway, driver/fs errors.
>
> In the kernel config, under "processor type and features", I disabled
> "64GB memory" support (changed to 4GB) and I also disabled "64 bit
> Memory and IO resources" and the problem went away. Do you by any chance
> happen to have those features enabled ?
>
> The dpt_i2o driver is not 64-bit clean, it happens to work with
> PAE/64-bit dma in earlier kernels but that might be by chance. Perhaps
> the different initialization ordering exposes the problem.
>
> I got the 64-bit dpt_i2o driver from Adaptec some time ago, and I have
> added 64-bit support to the 2.6.23.1 dpt_i2o driver based on that
> driver. I intended to submit it for 2.6.25 or so ... if I have some time
> later today or tomorrow I'll try that next to see if that makes a
> difference.

I just recompiled 2.6.23.9 with the 64 bit patch for dpt_i2o and now it
boots just fine.

The patch is here:
http://www.miquels.cistron.nl/linux/dpt_i2o-64bit-2.6.23.patch

It's not the final version - it needs a few cleanups before it can be
submitted, but perhaps you can test if it also works for you.

Mike.