Linux 2.6 kernel module compilation without using KBUILD

From: murtuja bharmal
Date: Wed Nov 28 2007 - 03:16:44 EST

Hello All,

I want to compile external linux kernel module without
using KBUILD.
I tried to find out whole process of kernel module
compilation using KBUILD after enabling flag
KBUILD_VERBOSE=1.

If we look at 2.6 kernel module building process.

1. gcc is making ".hello.o.d" and ".tmp_hello.o"
from "hello.c" file.
2. Creating "hello.o" file using ".hello.o.d"
and ".tmp_hello.o".
3. Running Script "scripts/mod/modpost" to
create "hello.mod.c" using ?hello.o?.
4. gcc is making "hello.mod.o" after compiling
"hello-mod.c" file.
5. finally "ld" is linking "hello.o"
and "hello.mod.o" and making "hello.ko".

Step 2 of above process is not very much cleared, how
it is making hello-2.o from ".hello.o.d" and
".tmp_hello.o".

What is ".tmp_hello.o?.

Do we have any document which describe how to make
kernel module without using KBUILD.

Any pointer of information is very helpful for me.

Thanks
Murtuja Bharmal