Re: [2.6 patch] make I/O schedulers non-modular

From: Jarek Poplawski
Date: Tue Nov 27 2007 - 19:17:01 EST

Adrian Bunk wrote, On 11/27/2007 11:53 PM:

> On Tue, Nov 27, 2007 at 11:15:48PM +0100, Jarek Poplawski wrote:
> Most Google hits are about abortion.
>
> The fact that people use this term in some completely different
> context does not give it the meaning you implied it had.
>
> Oh, and this right of choice also does not exist in Poland...

Anyway, your later arguments could suggest you've understood,

what I've meant. And maybe abortion isn't bad association here...

> As one of the most active code removers in the kernel [1], I can tell
> you what actually happens in practice:

> It's always surprising how many people complain when you deprecate or

> remove a choice B that choice A wouldn't work for them, and who had
> never reported their problems before since choice B worked for them...

Of course, all these choices should be reasonably limited, so the
opinions of users and maintainers should be always considered.

But, I was rather against something else: removing some maybe not very
popular, but still not buggy options, only to save a few kilobytes or
maintainers' time.

> [1] http://lwn.net/Articles/247582/

My congratulations! Of course, removing is something necessary, but I wish

you many problems! (== many users)

Thanks,
Jarek P.