Re: hdparm standby timeout not working for WD raptors?

From: Mark Weber
Date: Sun Oct 14 2007 - 20:02:26 EST

On 10/14/07, Mark Lord <lkml@xxxxxx> wrote:
> 1. How are you forcing the drives into standby?

hdparm -y

> 2. Have you reproduced this with a stock kernel.org kernel yet?

No; maybe later this week.

> One possibility is that these drives may be the kind that
> generate a "spurious" interrupt when they spin-down via the timer,
> and perhaps libata is "processing" that interrupt and sending
> additional command(s) that then wake the drive up again immediately.
>
> To rule this out, you could try using drivers/ide for a moment or two,
> and see if the same problem persists with those drives.
>
> You could also try dumping /proc/interrupts in conjunction with "hdparm -S1",
> and we can compare that with a "known good" system.
>
> Something like this:
>
> hdparm -B255 /dev/sda
> hdparm -S1 /dev/sda
> cat /proc/interrupts
> sleep 6
> cat /proc/interrupts

Here's the log for the second suggestion:

narf ~ # hdparm -B255 /dev/sda

/dev/sda:
setting Advanced Power Management level to disabled
HDIO_DRIVE_CMD failed: Input/output error

narf ~ # hdparm -S1 /dev/sda

/dev/sda:
setting standby to 1 (5 seconds)
narf ~ # cat /proc/interrupts
CPU0
0: 2268 IO-APIC-edge timer
1: 2 IO-APIC-edge i8042
8: 5 IO-APIC-edge rtc
9: 0 IO-APIC-fasteoi acpi
12: 4 IO-APIC-edge i8042
14: 206827 IO-APIC-edge ide0
16: 350813 IO-APIC-fasteoi sata_promise, uhci_hcd:usb5
17: 39596029 IO-APIC-fasteoi eth0
18: 0 IO-APIC-fasteoi uhci_hcd:usb4
19: 728947 IO-APIC-fasteoi libata, uhci_hcd:usb3
20: 0 IO-APIC-fasteoi ehci_hcd:usb1, uhci_hcd:usb2
NMI: 0
LOC: 2736793
ERR: 0
MIS: 0
narf ~ # sleep 6
narf ~ # cat /proc/interrupts
CPU0
0: 2268 IO-APIC-edge timer
1: 2 IO-APIC-edge i8042
8: 5 IO-APIC-edge rtc
9: 0 IO-APIC-fasteoi acpi
12: 4 IO-APIC-edge i8042
14: 206828 IO-APIC-edge ide0
16: 350813 IO-APIC-fasteoi sata_promise, uhci_hcd:usb5
17: 39596069 IO-APIC-fasteoi eth0
18: 0 IO-APIC-fasteoi uhci_hcd:usb4
19: 728947 IO-APIC-fasteoi libata, uhci_hcd:usb3
20: 0 IO-APIC-fasteoi ehci_hcd:usb1, uhci_hcd:usb2
NMI: 0
LOC: 2736881
ERR: 0
MIS: 0