"mount --bind" with user/group/mode definition?

From: Ph. Marek
Date: Thu Oct 11 2007 - 05:04:00 EST

Hello everybody,

is there some way to duplicate a directory somewhere else (like
with "mount --bind"), but having different owner/group/mode bits?

I'd like to mount a directory I have no control over (think NFS, or
floppy, ...) with clearly defined rights - like root:<some group>, mode 0550
for all directories, and 0440 for all files.
(Here I want to have full *read* control, regardless of the original
permissions).
[ I know that this special case can be (mostly) done by a read-only binding
mount; the part that is missing is eg. files with a different owner being
0700. ]

I know that something like this is possible for eg. VFAT, which has no right
descriptors for itself; but I'd need that for arbitrary directory trees, who
themselves *have* permissions set.

Is there some way to achieve that?

Regards,

Phil