Re: [patch/backport] CFS scheduler, -v22, for v2.6.23-rc8, v2.6.22.8,v2.6.21.7, v2.6.20.20

From: Bill Davidsen
Date: Sun Sep 30 2007 - 19:49:13 EST

Matthew wrote:
Hi Ingo & everbody on the list,

first of all: many thanks for developing this great scheduler (also:
kudos to Con Kolivas for having developed SD & CK-patchset)

(this is my second mail to this list and I hope I'm doing everything right)

I'm doing some backup during work right now: rsyncing my home
partition (nearly 180 GB) to another harddrive locally &
since I'm running compiz-fusion, openoffice and gnome, therefore am in
some real "working environment" I thought:
give Ingo's new scheduler a test-ride during heavy load ;)

first some impressions:
cpu load balancing looks great again (pretty symmetrical loading on
both cores - it looks pretty similar to 19.1 if not better if I recall
right),
v20 wasn't that "good-looking" ;) (with gnome-system-monitor)

both cpus have a continous load of ~ 70% right now so I'll be
starting up 9 instances of glxgears, below are some output & details
of my system
(cpu frequency switching is disabled since it doesn't work right now
with the current bios version)

short summary: unfortunately after starting glxgears everything
stuttered a lot, don't know if it's expactable during that heavy load
- just wanted to let you know; after having closed each instance of
glxgears, everything was fine again ...

cat /proc/sched_debug
Sched Debug Version: v0.05-v22, 2.6.23-rc8-cfs-v22 #1
now at 3890590.670323 msecs
.sysctl_sched_latency : 20.000000
.sysctl_sched_nr_latency : 0.000020
.sysctl_sched_wakeup_granularity : 2.000000
.sysctl_sched_batch_wakeup_granularity : 25.000000
.sysctl_sched_child_runs_first : 0.000001
.sysctl_sched_features : 3

Try setting features to 14. That helps my similar issues.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>