2.6.23-rc8, no tvtime

From: Gene Heskett
Date: Sun Sep 30 2007 - 19:03:42 EST

Greetings all;

I have a pcHDTV-3000 card in this box. This is a cx88 based card AFAIK.

I had a need to check something with tvtime today and found it couldn't
open /dev/video0

Checking in /dev, there indeed is no such animal, or anything seemingly video
related.

An lsmod|grep cx88 returns:
cx8802 13572 0
cx8800 25568 0
compat_ioctl32 1280 1 cx8800
cx88xx 56612 2 cx8802,cx8800
ir_common 29444 1 cx88xx
i2c_algo_bit 5124 1 cx88xx
video_buf 18308 3 cx8802,cx8800,cx88xx
btcx_risc 3848 3 cx8802,cx8800,cx88xx
tveeprom 13584 1 cx88xx
videodev 23936 2 cx8800,cx88xx
v4l2_common 14592 3 cx8800,cx88xx,videodev
i2c_core 17808 6
nvidia,cx88xx,i2c_algo_bit,tveeprom,eeprom,i2c_nforce2

A grep of dmesg for cx88 returns:
cx2388x cx88-mpeg Driver Manager version 0.0.6 loaded

Which seems a rather sparse return to me.

And I have this in my rc.local to load it all:
modprobe nvidia-agp
modprobe -r cx8802 cx8800 cx88-alsa cx88xx
modprobe cx88xx tuner=60
modprobe cx8800
modprobe cx8802

I had been getting an error from the rc.local at startup in the logs, and took
the offending line out about 2 weeks ago, but I believe it did work prior to
that.

Can anyone spot the mistake above? Or do we have a real problem with rc8?

Thanks.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)