Re: 32-bit Athlon X2 won't poweroff

From: Mark Lord
Date: Sun Sep 30 2007 - 18:57:27 EST

Mark Lord wrote:
..
So next is inside the kernel itself, at linux/kernel/sys.c :: sys_reboot(),
where we see this code:

/* Instead of trying to make the power_off code look like
* halt when pm_power_off is not set do it the easy way.
*/
if ((cmd == LINUX_REBOOT_CMD_POWER_OFF) && !pm_power_off)
cmd = LINUX_REBOOT_CMD_HALT;

This converts a "poweroff" into a "reboot" if no machine dependent
power off function has been bound in (pm_power_off() is a function pointer).

Duh.. fingers failed to follow brain: that converts a "poweroff" into a "halt",
which is what you are seeing.

So for this to work, I believe that either ACPI or APM has to have been
configured into the kernel (and the modules loaded). Your kernel .config
from earlier shows ACPI built-in to the kernel core, so it should be present.

Unless you booted with noacpi or some such parameter..
So let's have a look at the kernel boot logs,
and you could also try CONGIG_ACPI_DEBUG=y

Bizarre (and nothing to do with my patch).