Re: [2.6.23-rc8-mm2] System hangs (loops?) during boot

From: Udo A. Steinberg
Date: Sun Sep 30 2007 - 10:24:50 EST

On Sat, 29 Sep 2007 13:02:34 -0700 Andrew Morton (AM) wrote:

AM> On Sat, 29 Sep 2007 21:40:22 +0200 Frans Pop <elendil@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
AM>
AM> > On Saturday 29 September 2007, you wrote:

AM> > Looks like it is both: hpet killing IDE?
AM> >
AM> > > Two iterations should get you into the culprit zone.
AM> >
AM> > Thanks for the pointers. Luckily I ended up in a quite narrow zone
AM> > between two of the points you indicated (10 iterations).
AM> >
AM> > And the winner is:
AM> >
AM> > 3fe6c0016fd863b233097a8219a0d8577c2fd503 is first bad commit
AM> > commit 3fe6c0016fd863b233097a8219a0d8577c2fd503
AM> > Author: Udo A. Steinberg <...>
AM> > hpet-force-enable-on-ich34
AM> >
AM> > Guess the comments about thin ice and testing were justified :-)
AM> >
AM> > lspci and a 2.6.23-rc6 dmesg for this system can be found in:
AM> > http://lkml.org/lkml/2007/9/19/300
AM>
AM> Great, thanks for doing that.
AM>
AM> I guess I'll drop the patch for now in that case.

I somehow doubt that the HPET patch itself is the culprit. In fact, the
reason it shows up on git-bisect is probably because without it HPET
functionality is not enabled on the platform. So the problem could really
be anywhere in the HPET-driven timer infrastructure.

Frans, could you try out the -hrt patchset from Thomas Gleixner and see
if that works? Also, what ICH does your platform have? ICH3 or ICH4?

Cheers,

- Udo