[FYI] 2.6.23-rc8-git3 misc observations

From: Bill Davidsen
Date: Sat Sep 29 2007 - 15:48:35 EST

Running FC6 (updated this am) the temp sensors GNOME applet works with the kernel.org kernel, not the FC6 kernel. This has been true for a while, and I've stopped chasing it, I don't really care right now, since the sensors command works fine and that's what my daemon checks.

Using 2.6.23-rc8 (no git) the NIC came up at 100Mbit instead of gigE once, not reproducible. Just in case this kicks off a bunch of "mee too" replies. lspci info follows text.

Boot times: I occasionally boot repeatedly for various tests, these are the fastest of three (or more) boots of a given kernel, ID is what uname gives.

2.6.21-sd046 55.29
2.6.21-cfs-v6 55.93
2.6.20-1.2944.fc6 64.71
2.6.23-rc8-git3 65.06
2.6.22.7-57.fc6 69.02

lspci:

02:00.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82573L Gigabit Ethernet Controller
Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. Unknown device 81c2
Control: I/O+ Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B-
Capabilities: [d0] Message Signalled Interrupts: 64bit+ Queue=0/0 Enable+
Address: 00000000fee0200c Data: 41d1
Capabilities: [e0] Express Endpoint IRQ 0
Device: Supported: MaxPayload 256 bytes, PhantFunc 0, ExtTag-
Device: Latency L0s <512ns, L1 <64us
Device: AtnBtn- AtnInd- PwrInd-
Device: Errors: Correctable- Non-Fatal- Fatal- Unsupported-
Device: RlxdOrd+ ExtTag- PhantFunc- AuxPwr- NoSnoop+
Device: MaxPayload 128 bytes, MaxReadReq 512 bytes
Link: Supported Speed 2.5Gb/s, Width x1, ASPM unknown, Port 0
Link: Latency L0s <128ns, L1 <64us
Link: ASPM Disabled RCB 64 bytes CommClk+ ExtSynch-
Link: Speed 2.5Gb/s, Width x1
Capabilities: [100] Advanced Error Reporting
Capabilities: [140] Device Serial Number De-LE-TE-D

--
Bill Davidsen
He was a full-time professional cat, not some moonlighting