Re: [2.6.23-rc8-mm2] System hangs (loops?) during boot

From: Andrew Morton
Date: Sat Sep 29 2007 - 04:37:23 EST

On Sat, 29 Sep 2007 02:32:44 +0200 Frans Pop <elendil@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Friday 28 September 2007, Frans Pop wrote:
> > My Toshiba Satellite A40 (i386, P4 Mobile) hangs during boot after:
> > Marking TSC unstable due to: possible TSC halt in C2.
> > Time: acpi_pm clocksource has been installed.
>
> A few new boot attempts show the problem is more likely at:
> Probing IDE interface ide0...
>
> > It may not actually hang, but rather end up in a loop as after some time
> > the fan goes wild.
>
> Unfortunately I have no serial port and this seems too early for netconsole,
> so cannot catch a boot log.
>
> > Any suggestions where to look before I do a bisect?

Not really, sorry. I usually start at mm.patch when I don't have a clue.
It mm.patch fails then pop off all the x86 patches (down to
git-ipwireless_cs.patch).

If mm.patch doesn't fail then push on all the memory management patches (up
to mm-test-and-set-zone-reclaim-lock-before-starting-cleanup.patch).

Two iterations should get you into the culprit zone.

But please do bisect it.