Re: why network devices don't do reference counting?

From: David Miller
Date: Thu Sep 27 2007 - 15:15:34 EST

From: Jan Engelhardt <jengelh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2007 16:55:36 +0200 (CEST)

> On Sep 27 2007 07:51, Stephen Hemminger wrote:
> >
> >You need every socket to close and all routes to go away including the
> >routes through loopback device, and still there probably are control
> >sockets buried inside ipv6 that hold ref count.
> >
> >IMHO the kernel should just admit that IPV6 can't be removed.
>
> I cannot accept that. If ipv6.ko has a way to tack ipv6 structs onto all
> sockets, interfaces and addresses, it should also be able to untack it
> again.

Then you do the work and see how incredibly difficult the
implementation is, others have tried. It's not trivial
and at best it's a very time consuming piece of work to
embark on.

Until then it's un-removable, plain as that :-)

I don't know why we're wasting our fingers discussing this
at all to be honest with you.