Re: PCI: Fix boot-time hang on G31/G33 PC

From: Robert Hancock
Date: Wed Sep 26 2007 - 19:05:30 EST

Jesse Barnes wrote:
On Wednesday, September 26, 2007 2:56 pm Greg KH wrote:
On Wed, Sep 26, 2007 at 02:55:55PM -0700, Jesse Barnes wrote:
On Wednesday, September 26, 2007 2:18 pm Greg KH wrote:
Due to the issues surrounding this patch, I'm dropping it from my
repo.
What issues? Is it causing problems for people?
I thought this was the patch that Ivan objected to.

Yeah, Ivan objected to this, but incorrectly I think.

Ivan, your concern is about disabling things like interrupt controllers and power management chips during probe right? You're right that doing that could cause problems if we get and interrupt or PMU event at just the wrong time, but that could just as easily happen if decode was still enabled but the BAR had a bogus address programmed (as it would during probing).

Ultimately, I don't care much one way or another as long as we can get the desktop platforms fixed somehow. I think disabling decode is the most correct way of doing this, but I'm open to other solutions (this is the only patch I've seen though that's been tested to solve the problem).

I agree, I've yet to see a single report of an actual problem that disabling the decode causes, nor even a theoretical problem which couldn't already happen due to the possibility of the device being accessed during BAR sizing, which just shouldn't be allowed since it can't work with or without this patch.

Until and unless we have something better that fixes the real and serious boot-time problems that we need this patch to fix, I would say it should stay in.

--
Robert Hancock Saskatoon, SK, Canada
To email, remove "nospam" from hancockr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx