Re: commit 6dccd16b7c2703e8bbf8bca62b5cf248332afbe2 kills r8169 sendperformance

From: Timo Jantunen
Date: Wed Sep 26 2007 - 16:17:28 EST

On Wed, 26 Sep 2007, Willy Tarreau wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 26, 2007 at 09:52:02PM +0300, Timo Jantunen wrote:
> > On Wed, 26 Sep 2007, Francois Romieu wrote:
> > > The patch below is scheduled for inclusion before 2.6.23. Please try it and
> > > see if it makes a difference on top of 2.6.23-rc8 (full dmesg will be welcome
> > > too).
> > Thanks for the quick reply and fix. Unfortunately the fix didn't help in my
> > case.
>
> In another thread on LKML today, there has been some discussion about a
> similar problem, which is caused by a locking bug in iperf which makes
> it spin at 100% CPU. Ingo has posted a fix for this, please check the list.

I noticed the problem originally with another program (playback of 720p
video to remote X using mplayer). And in my case the CPU usage is 2-3%
systime, <1% userspace so it doesn't seem to be anything to do with the
scheduler (I did try that "echo 1 > /proc/sys/kernel/sched_compat_yield"
workaround, too.)

//T