Re: NMI error and Intel S5000PSL Motherboards

From: Alan Cox
Date: Wed Sep 26 2007 - 07:10:55 EST

> Aug 29 09:02:10 master kernel: Uhhuh. NMI received for unknown reason 30.
> Aug 29 09:02:10 master kernel: Do you have a strange power saving mode
> enabled?

What would be useful is to know under what situations that board can
raise NMI 30.

> In other words, Intel seems to be blaming the problem we are seeing on
> something introduced starting with the 2.6.19 kernel. We are not looking
> to blame anybody. We are only looking for a solution.

The first thing to find out is to find out in which kernel the behaviour
is introduced. It might also be worth disabling msi in case Intel screwed
the board up somewhat.

> Does anybody have an idea what could be going on here, as well as what
> the solution may be? Going back to 2.6.18 or lower is not an option.

See if 2.6.20.* with the 2.6.18 driver compiles and how that behaves.
Also see if pci=nomsi and/or pci=nommconf make a difference.

Alan