Re: Chroot bug

From: David Newall
Date: Tue Sep 25 2007 - 19:51:18 EST

Alan Cox wrote:
On Wed, 26 Sep 2007 01:05:07 +0930
David Newall <david@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Alan Cox wrote:
Marek's loading dynamic libraries, it seems clear that the prime purpose of chroot is to aid security. Being able to cd your way out is handy
Does it - I can't find any evidence for that.
It seems self-evident to me. What do you think is it prime purpose?

Debugging and testing. At least that is as I understand it much of where
it came from.

Good call. Though I suppose, since it's used 24x7 to aid security on countless production servers, that security dwarfs testing. Still, debugging, yes that's valid.

I don't suppose it makes and difference; whatever the purpose, a chroot that doesn't change the root is buggy.