Re: 2.6.23-rc4-mm1 and -rc6-mm1: boot failure on HP nx6325,related to clockevents

From: Thomas Gleixner
Date: Tue Sep 25 2007 - 16:46:45 EST

Rafael,

On Tue, 2007-09-25 at 22:07 +0200, Rafael J. Wysocki wrote:
> On Tuesday, 25 September 2007 15:17, Thomas Gleixner wrote:
> > On Tue, 2007-09-25 at 15:16 +0200, Rafael J. Wysocki wrote:
> [--snip--]
> >
> > I start to get desperate. Below is a patch, which moves the apic timer
> > disable check after the calibration routine. Can you please apply on top
> > of -hrt and add "noapictimer" to the command line ? Does it boot ?
>
> 2.6.23-rc7 with patch-2.6.23-rc7-hrt1.patch and the patch below applied boots
> with noapictimer and doesn't boot without it.

That was expected. I explicitly asked to add "noapictimer" to the kernel
command line.

Ok, so we ruled out the apic timer calibration routine. I did not expect
that this would be the culprit, but with "dark screen" as the only debug
info, I need to resort to small steps.

Can you please send me the output of /proc/timer_list of 2.6.23-rc7-hrt1
after booting with "noapictimer" ?

I'm a bit confused by your earlier confirmation, that mainline w/o the
-hrt patches boots fine, when you add "apicmaintimer" to the kernel
command line. "apicmaintimer" stops the PIT like we do in -hrt and we
just use the local APIC timer for everything. Can you please retest and
confirm that this is correct ?

Is the 32 bit kernel working on that box ?

Thanks for your patience.

tglx

PS: I just sent out the "disable APIC timer for AMD C1E boxen" patch. We
debugged this half a year ago on a nx6325, but I completely forgot about
that. The explanation from AMD was sensible, but your "apicmaintimer"
works statement is contradictory.