Re: [patch 2/4] new timerfd API v2 - new timerfd API

From: Davide Libenzi
Date: Tue Sep 25 2007 - 13:42:05 EST

On Tue, 25 Sep 2007, Jonathan Corbet wrote:

> One quick question:
>
> > Like the previous timerfd API implementation, read(2) and poll(2) are supported
> > (with the same interface).
>
> Looking at that interface, it appears that a process doing a read() on a
> timerfd with no timer set will block for a very long time. It's an
> obvious "don't do that" situation, but perhaps we could help an
> occasional developer get a clue by returning something like -EINVAL when
> the timer has not been set?

That is the same as you try to read once more after an expired timer. You
won't wake up until the next timer event will show up. That is, after at
most TP time for periodic timers, or after the time the next
timerfd_settime() will setup.
I'd like to keep the "timerfd not set yet" and the "timerfd already
expired and not re-armed" acting the same way. That is, wait till next
event happen (unless O_NONBLOCK of course).

- Davide