Re: ACPI power off regression in 2.6.23-rc8 (NOT in rc7)

From: Rafael J. Wysocki
Date: Tue Sep 25 2007 - 10:38:15 EST

On Tuesday, 25 September 2007 16:19, Alexey Starikovskiy wrote:
> Rafael J. Wysocki wrote:

> >> I was thinking about that, but it seem to be less clear...
> >> We need this variable only for suspend or hibernation, nothing else.
> >> with pm_sleep it is not visible at all.
> >>
> >> Thoughts?
> >
> > Well, PM_SLEEP is defined as (SUSPEND || HIBERNATION), please have a look
> > at kernel/power/Kconfig, and it was introduced exactly for the conditions like
> > this.
> I've seen this then I wrote the patch :) See my point, it is not clear,
> that PM_SLEEP is equivalent to SUSPEND || HIBERNATION, one needs to
> grep Kconfig files to find that -- it means that code becomes less readable,
> and I would like to avoid that.

I see your point. Still, you are using PM_SLEEP in the same file, so someone
reading the code for the first time will have to find out what it is anyway.

OTOH, the only function of PM_SLEEP is to be a replacement for
(SUSPEND || HIBERNATION). It has no other meaning whatsoever.

[Well, sorry, I couldn't invent a better name.]

> > IOW, if we want something to be used for anything else than suspend or
> > hibernation, it shouldn't be defined under PM_SLEEP.
> Agree, but we should distinguish there it is better to use PM_SLEEP,
> and there it is better to use (SUSPEND || HIBERNATION) just to be more expressive...

Well, since PM_SLEEP is used as (SUSPEND || HIBERNATION) everywhere else,
I think that it would actually be confusing not to use it here. :-)

Greetings,
Rafael